Thursday, January 25, 2007

Walking With Angels

Last weekend I went to our church's women's retreat at Cannon Beach. Our topic was "angels."

I believe that there are spiritual beings called "angels," but being a highly pragmatic person, and not recalling ever interacting with such a being, I wasn't sure how much I would get out of the retreat. I thought, "Oh, well, I'll just hang out with the beach angels."

Of course, when you get a group of women together and let them talk, there is a kind of collective wisdom that is shared, and it was highly enjoyable getting to know better a number of the women at our church.

But the joke was really on me. One of the first things our retreat leader invited us to do on Saturday morning was to take a meditation stone and go out on the beach to meditate. As she passed out the "meditation stones," they just looked like flat, oval metal disks, but when I turned mine over, there was the impression of an angel. My "beach angel" after all.

So I took my angel and my camera for a walk during the meditation time, and then again later in the day. You can find images from my journey through our church website, then by clicking on "Women's Retreat" and then clicking on "here."

So no, I still haven't knowingly encountered a heavenly being, but I think I got an angelic message just the same. It was a great retreat.

(by the way, the slide show will deconstruct in a few weeks)

No comments: